The Capital Region Health Connector will educate and enroll residents of Montgomery and Prince George’s Counties in Maryland’s Health Connection, the state-based health insurance marketplace. Education and outreach will be ongoing and eligible residents will be able to enroll beginning October 1, 2013. Enrollment will end March 31, 2014.
Who Must Be Covered?
The Affordable Care Act requires all legal residents living in the U.S. for more than five years, who are between the ages of 18 and 64 to obtain health coverage:
- Individuals covered under their employer-sponsored health coverage do not need to do anything.
- Individuals currently enrolled in Medicaid do not need to do anything. They will be contacted when it is time to renew their coverage.
- Medicare recipients are already covered and do not need to make any changes.
- Individuals enrolled in the Primary Adult Care (PAC) program will be automatically transitioned to full Medicaid benefits and do not need to do anything.
The Maryland Health Connection is the state’s health insurance marketplace that has been set up to give uninsured Marylanders access to quality health insurance plans that they can enroll in. It is an online marketplace—www.marylandhealthconnection.gov—where individuals can compare the insurance plans and choose the best plan for themselves. The website includes the online application and also information about the plans and what the premiums are so that you can compare plans.
Beginning October 1, 2013, there are 3 ways you can sign up:
- Go to www.marylandhealthconnection.gov and complete the online enrollment process.
- OR -
- Call the Maryland Health Connection and sign up over the phone
- 1-855-642-8572 (toll free)
- 1-855-642-8573 (TTY)
- OR -
- Meet in-person with a navigator to complete enrollment (see Sign Up Locations beginning October 1 to see where navigators will be located)